Monday, July 16, 2012

Maven Beyond the Blush Blowout

I didn’t know this event or even the magazine until I saw Helen’s blogpost about it. I read from her blog that there’ll be an event on July 14 at Trinoma. I visited the facebook page of Maven and saw the details. I don’t have plans on that day, it’s free and the venue is near, so why not come? But I still have hesitations, I don’t have the magazine and I don't have a friend to come with me! It took me an hour to finally pre-register. It says on the page that the first 100 early registrants will have a special loot bag. Loot bags are heaven!  Free OSM items to try out! I was hoping that I’ll be one of those 100. Days before the event, I was thinking of not going. Wala lang, tinatamad lang hehe. But Maven sent a message on facebook reminding me of the event. Gah~ And by that time I finally know that that day is clear. Okay, gotta go.

I bought the magazine on that day, and flipped through the pages. It's very informative. Of course what caught my attention was the make up, fashion, and food sections! Haha! Love it. So yeah I went to the event    alone, I was late and I regretted it! Good thing it's still the first workshop.


WARNING: Lengthy post but informative :)


WORKSOP #1
I don’t know the title but I’ll say it’s about image and how you present yourself. The speaker is Karen Ostrea from the Global Image Management. She’s the 2002 Bb. Pilipinas Ms. Universe. She’s so pretty and she knows what she’s talking about. *nod nod* When I was inside the event area, the workshop is already starting and by that time they were doing the self introduction part, I mean, how to introduce yourself part.


photonotmine
Handshake
The handshake should be firm and web to web. Web––the web-like thingy between the index finger and the thumb. Let the web of your hand (right hand) touch first the other person’s web before closing your hand then shake. I hope you can imagine it. :)) Also, make sure that your hand shake is not coming from your wrist or your shoulder, it should be from the elbows. Avoid gripping too much, two shakes is enough. What else? Uhmm, make sure that the other person notices it. Kasi nga naman, sometimes we do some gestures signalling the hand shake but the other person would not respond to it. Maybe the other person didn't see or notice it. Be confident as well. Also, remove your rings on your right hand if you know that you’ll gonna meet someone (i.e. clients etc.) and you’ll gonna do the hand shake. This is so that you will not hurt yourself or the other person. For sweaty hands, if you need to meet someone, just rush into the bathroom, wash your hands and towel/paper dry it before meeting the person. Oh diba. She made us stand up and face our partners and did the hand shake. Cool. Interactive. I like it.



photo from Sekaiichi Hatsukoi Manga
Calling card
She also discussed about how to properly give your calling card. There are two ways––Asian/Japanese way and the Western way. For the first one, Asian way, if you are going to hand your card, hold the top corners of the card. When I say TOP corners, it pertains to the topmost area when the card is facing you. So of course, if you’re going to hand the card out, it should face the recipient. Gets nyo naman na siguro yan no? Haha! Sorry, di ako magaling mag describe o explain. Haha! Feeling ko naman naiintindihan nyo. Just hold the tip of the corners.

For the Western way, you only need to use the right hand. I actually thought that this is an informal way, but it has reasons din pala. You also need to do this if you’re giving your card when the other person is from the Middle East (?) not sure. Basta ang naalala kong example ay kapag Muslim/Arab yung person involved. It is because the left hand is considered as the dirty hand.

What if you’re the recipient? Just remember that you need to receive that card the same way it was offered to you. Like the picture above. After receiving, say thank you, then pause for a while to read. If you have some good comments, say it (i.e. Uy taga manila ka pala). If you don’t have any, then don’t say anything. Haha! You can also ask questions after reading the card for clarifications. Then, place the card in your wallet or planner even if you don't want to. Just take it out when you're at home if you really don't need it. The card is like an ID, it represents the owner, so we need to give importance to it. Don't just shoot the card in your bag or place it on your back pocket where you can easily lose it. Just think of how you will feel if you gave your calling card and the other person did that. Diba?


Emails, Texts, and Calls
For emails, always put the proper subject    content of the message. Eto guilty ako, lalo na pag mahaba na yung conversation. Hindi ko na binabago yung subject, puro nalang ‘RE: ’ Hindi dapat ganon. Also, don’t use SHOUTY CAPITALS! Wag ding naka-BOLD, ITALICIZE, COLORFUL, o ALL OF THE ABOVE! Kasi nga naman, the reader may have a different interpretation. It is a conversation, and since there is no contact at all, mas malaki yung chance na ma-misinterpret yung ibig mong sabihin. Tapos wag din sobrang liit o sobrang laki ng fontsize. Make it readable, pati yung font. At lalong wag jeje. The same with text message. Make sure to spell the words properly. And then, always end a conversation nicely. When someone says thank you, always say ‘You’re welcome’ as your response. Hindi ‘yung, “Thank you,” “Thank you din,” repeat ‘til fade. Sayang ang load.


photo from Iinchou no Himegoto Manga
For calls, always answer politely. Do not shout. For example: “Hello good afternoon.” Or just simply, “Hello.” Not, “HELLO SINO TO?!” I know you get the idea already. Also, tell the person on the other line if you’re going to put the call on hold. The same when you're going to get a pen and/or paper. Hindi yung iiwanan mo nalang yung phone bigla bigla. Mamaya nagsasalita pa siya hindi niya alam wala pala yung kausap nya. And then, if the line is choppy, it is better to call again later than to continue the conversation in that situation.

7 Levels of Dressing
She also talked about the 7 levels of dressing, but I won't be blogging about it because I can't remember all the details. This is helpful, especially for working people.

O diba, that's just the first. The other workshops are just as helpful but I guess the first one has the greatest impact on me. The other seminars are about career, skin care, makeup brushes, hair, and make up.  I won't be blogging about it. :P There's also a makeover session. The makeup artists are very good! There are before and after shots, and I saw that they made the models even more beautiful!


snacks: cupcake and wine
I won these from Nivea. During the break, they had a raffle. 10 of us won a loot. Weee~ So lucky!


And, I'm also part of the first 100. I received a loot bag at the end! Let's look at it and it's contents
That's a lot, right? Maven is so generous!! Thank you! And thank you sponsors!

I bought this lip gloss after the event. This is a rare pokemon. :)) The flavor is bubblegum. It's cool and refreshing when applied on the lips.


I super duper enjoyed the event. I really had a great time. I learned so much in that span of time! Just sitting there listening to the guest speakers are more than enough, seriously. :) Thank you Maven! 

No comments:

nRealate