Saturday, November 24, 2012

Watercolor Painting Attempt

Another additional series in my blog! Yey! Clap with me!
So this new series is all about painting, watercolor painting. My journey and everything. It was last year since I started having this urge to paint. I don't know why, I forgot already. Maybe because I can't draw very well. I think I'm good with colors eh, so I thought I might be better in painting. Haha! Whatta logic. Or maybe, it was just my lonely and bored self, thinking how can I make my hands and time useful. Or the artist me.

What I originally planned was to try oil painting, with that canvas chuchu and all. But everything is so expensive for an unemployed me. I always put it in my wishlist, painting stuff, but I didn't get any.  Haha! Until I forgot everything about it. Then one day... (kwento?) I learned that my friends are giving watercolor painting a try. And it's all coming back. And I decided to give it a try as well. Atleast, the materials are less expensive I think. To start it, I bought brushes.
recently bought brushes from NBS and Deovir (ignore the card, ples)

Brushes are expensive!!! The heck with all the numbers and types! I went to NBS to look at their brushes. It's very limited, but cheaper. I just don't know about the quality. Lez look at the le brushes I have closely.
#8 brushes. (left) Martol, flat. (right) Best Buy, round/tapered?
The one on the left is actually my brother's. He bought it last June and was using it as laptop cleaner. I guess it's already time to use it according to its purpose. Though I don't know if this one is really for watercolor painting. The other on the right is the smallest I can find from the BestBuy brand. I don't think I'll be using large brushes for the paintings I have in mind.




#1 Master, white nylon. (top) round, (bottom) flat
I bought these two at Deovir. It's so funny because I don't have any clue as to what am gonna buy. Good thing the person on duty that time knows what he's doing and he was able to help me with my lack of knowledge. These two are synthetic. It's better to buy natural fiber/hair(?) so that the color will adhere well. You'll load your synthetic brush more often. So why did I buy these? Aesthetics! Duh. Haha! That's one, and the other is that they're the cheapest. I'll invest on natural ones next time.

(top) #3 Chinese brush, (middle) #2 Deovir, Pony (bottom) generic/sizeless Chinese brush
I wanted to try the chinese brushes. Lez see if their price is based from their quality. hoho. Middle's not a chinese brush.

my brushes once more

This drawing book will be my watercolor paper as of now, until I gain the confidence that is worth ... andaming sinasabi, english pa, wala lang namang pambili. Haha! The paper is thin so I need to be careful. I'm  being resourceful. 

I still need to look for my watercolor. I know I have one somewhere. If not, I'll buy. I might buy a mixing palette too. My drawing board will be improvised.  But I might not be using it until I buy the real watercolor paper. That's it for now~


Someday, I'll be able to say the same line from the bottom of my heart. Yeah, someday. For now, I'll settle with like.



And visit my ghei friend's blog who influenced me to do this. Her works are OSM. Douso~ 

4 comments:

chysa said...

Sarreh, I think I typed the wrong link. haha! But yeah, it's supposed to be yours. I cahnged it already. :))

Why link it? Cause I can. HAHAHAHA!

I'll just try something on the drrawing book. Maybe practice some strokes or I'll use it for color swatches. I'll buy the cartolina size at Deovir next time when my wallet's stocked. :))

I saw a Prang set, it's so expensive! But I'll invest on it.

And there you are saying that you are inexperienced. But hello! I still think that you are more experienced in this area. Haha!

Thanks yao~

minaminaboo said...

*yao*

minaminaboo said...

I have to ask, was the link supposed to go to my blog? Or do you have another ghei friend who writes like "I'm 5'8, carmel complexion, with nice breast and an ok butt....i'm pretty(never been tol otherwise). My hair covers up 25% of my back and i wieght about 150-60 lbs" *yao*

And why try to link my blog? I'm still a beginner too. ;A;

About the brushes, if you bought a chinese brush with a cap, don't attempt to put it back again. it'll just ruin the fibers.

Your drawing book, its papers might be too thin that could only hold up to two coatings at most and might get too "soggy". It might only frustrate you. I attempted to try watercolor in my old Best Buy sketchpad and just tore it out of frustration. -_-" I looked for some cheap watercolor papers. Mimi bought a watercolor sketchpad from NBS (200+ gsm) but it was still a bit expensive given its size. I'm still trying to look for best material to practice on. I bought two packs (5 pages each) of watercolor paper in Expressions in Ever. Dunno if they still have stocks. 180 gsm and around 25 php per pack. I cut them in half (since I was saving... hooray for poor hikis!) since I'm still just practicing and still trying to experiment in styles. After some failed attempts at prepping the paper, I gave up on it. I'm using some old folders right now. It's thicker (but still curve -not the wavy curving that you might see in papers) and can withstand more coatings. The drawbacks were my folder weren't white but tinted with ochre tone. It also absorbs the color quite slower (paint dries a bit slower too). Idk, but it'll do for me right now.

Ian uses a watercolor paper bought from Deovir. 35 php for a cartolina size piece (Brand: Canson). I saw a watercolor paper in NBS among the cartolinas and felt papers. 64 php per piece. *yao* might be good but too expensive for practicing.

With the watercolors, I prefer the one in cake forms rather than the ones in tubes, but I still do use watercolor palette. It was easier to adjust how much paint you want in your mixtures. (And with tubes, you tend to use more watercolor paints than what you might intend to use) You have probably seen this pic:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K13ZMkqZHKY/UK-gmnsczzI/AAAAAAAAAaE/DNIE2NutB9Q/s320/100_2221.JPG
I keep a palette and mix my colors in it whenever I want lighter tones. If I really want a dark tone, I use the watercolor directly from the cakes.
I used the ones I bought from Deovir most of the time, I like them. But they are a bit expensive since they are sold per color (Prang refills 31 php each) not to mention it has only few colors, though of course you can mix them with each other to produce more. I also bought a Fabercastel watercolor. I don't think I really like that one. It has a chalky/powdery/grainy feel when it dries.

^I hope it helped.

I wish one day, I could tell I love to paint too. XDb

anyway~ good luck with us~

minaminaboo said...

sorry for the long comment. *yao*

nRealate