Monday, September 24, 2012

Jeon Woo Chi

Woo Chi (photo credit: asianwiki)
Jeon Woo Chi is the only movie I watched in this year's Korean Film Festival. This was the last film shown on their Manila leg. Watching this movie was not planned. Good thing the events that day enabled me to see this. Honestly, I thought this movie will be boring since it looks historical (sorry for being so judgemental), but I'm completely mistaken! It's highly entertaining! I love it! The twists and everything is just so amazing. They squeezed in a lot in that 136 minutes. I highly recommend you to watch it! 

I was seriously annoyed on the first few minutes of the film. I'm already thinking that I was right, this film is going to be boring. Somehow, the transition is so fast    not story-wise. The angles of the scenes are interchanging rapidly (just my opinion). If I'm not reading the subtitle, I think it'll be okay, but I am! haha! I came to a point where I don't want to look at it anymore. Good thing it was only for several minutes. It got pretty interesting when the story is gradually unfolding. The story was based on a Korean folktale (accdg to wiki). Below is the summary from the flyer.


Jeon Woo Chi (136 Minutes)Dong-hoon CHOI /Director
Dong-won KANG, Soo-jung LIM /CastAction, Fantasy /Genre
Havoc ensues when the Pipe of the Prophecy falls into the evil hands of the goblins, 500 years into the Chosun Dynasty. The ancient Taoist wizards turn to Master and Hwadam (KIM Yoon-suk) for help and trusting each other with one half of the Pipe. Meanwhile, the Master's rascal student Woochi (KANG Dong-won) tricks the king and creates a fiasco, making the three Taoist wizards and Hwadam visit the Master. But the Master has been murdered and his Pipe goes missing! By taking his master's pipe out to the market streets, Woochi ultimately gets sealed into a painting along with his trusty dog, Chorangyi (YOO Hae-jin). 

Photos are from asianwiki.
Woochi is so cool! I especially like him after he was released from the painting    that's our present time. A person who's from 500 years ago in this time, sure has different view point. It's refreshing. Segue: Is it just me? I can see faces on the wall. 

the start of something new :))

The bad guy. Such a cunning man, oh, goblin.

The horse slash dog slash man... slash woman! Chorangyi~ This man is beyond hilarious. He's so funny! HAHAHA! He portrayed the role very well! His scenes are very entertaining. His desire to become human is so immense that he betrayed his master. Awww. That was just heart breaking. And the sudden revelation of his true identity is mind-blowing. If it happens in real life, I wonder how one's going to take it. :))

These three! I didn't pay any attention to them until after 500 years (movie time). See how they look after 500 years below. :)) Cool~ I didn't think they'll have such important roles in the film.


I like this transformation. The face, her actions    all befitting of a possessed girl. She the girl with Woochi in one of the photos above.  :)) She's so pretty! I like her chemistry with Woochi. Kilig~

What I like about the movie is the sequence of events and how they managed to put so many little, yet so important details. I have this tendency to ask why was that particular scene in the movie? Or why was it done there, not on the another place. Or why was it done that way, will it matter? Is it necessary? Throughout the movie, I had some questions like that and surprisingly enough, they were answered. I like that! I find myself saying "Ah yun pala yun," "Kaya pala," throughout the film. I can't say there are no loopholes, but for most part, every scene has its purpose and meaning. 

I am sure the team put a lot of effort in making this. The set, design, props and costumes, the cuts, all of it are definitely not half-assed.  Oh, and the last scene made the Filipino crowd applaud! Haha! That's what I like when watching films in cinema, the collective reaction. 

Love it~

No comments:

nRealate